Tuesday, February 22, 2005

An Update from the other side...

Reached Raleigh, North Carolina yesterday.. Arrived at the airport with a 1.5 hour delay.. we'll it didnt matter to me much, but then it was my colleague John who was waiting @ the airport from 10 pm. and we reached my place by midnight.

These flights from India to anywhere in the US.. are always a test of your endurance.. especially when you know you have the all important meeting just the next day.. and youre not sure whether you will be able to raise your 10 ton eyelids during those afternoon discussions.. what to talk about being the presenter yourself in most of the cases... its always 35 hours.. and cramped seats.. and cabin baggage fights.. and squeaking children.. and lost Asian Vegetarian meals.. By the end of the flight.. you wish you were back home already.. and wish you wouldnt have to face the return flight back home..

Completed re-reading the book The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman during this time... I have got one more book.. The Memoirs of a Geisha .. to finish on my way back.. but then thats about 15-20 days from now.. This was a big book to get completed in one go.. but anyways.. one generally doesnt have much to do.. apart from waiting in airport lounges.. for 3-4 hours.. and braving the glare of the transit immigration official or the security guard .. It also amazes me.. how even though I always have just my clothes.. and maybe a 6 pack of Maggi for emergency sakes.. its always the case that I always find the white slip inside my luggage ... at the end of the journey. which says.. "Your luggage was selected for random checking .. and blah and blah of US Immigration rules.. ". In my next life.. I am going to be an Indian immigration official.. and anyways.. as one is already starting to see the reversal of the exodus.. so who knows.. I might settle scores with this disparity of probablity... by doling some 10-12 Indian law white slips myself for the American endeavorer to ponder about beside his suitcase..

As the dialogue goes in "Jhankar Beats"
"Duniya gol hai , aur har paap ka ek double role hai... "

Anyways.. I really like all the people here.. my team members I mean... both Americans and the ppl from other nationalities.. they are all very warm and cordial .. and always go the extra step in helping you out.. and caring for you... maybe because.. I am even younger then their youngest children.. John got my stay reservations done.. close to his apartments.. This means.. I dont have to hire a cab everytime.. since i dont have a car this time.. even groceries and other things.. will be comfortably acquired..

The flat I have got is a riot... It makes me feel like a king.. Its a 3 bedroom , 2 bathroom 1400 sq ft mansion.. !! and I took 10-12 minutes yesterday to chart out on which days I would use Bedroom 1 , BedRoom2 and on which Bedroom 3.. ... the Baths are alternate obviously... But just in case you get me wrong.. the loo and the tub of any bath room are not to be used on the same day..
Clear bowels in one.. and lather yourself in the other.. :) so there.

Waise, Kabhie kabhie hi to khuda chappad phaad kar deta hai.. never had my hand on the controls of such a huge plasma screen.. sleek furnishings.. not a speck of dust.. .even the motor drive is huge... Well .. there can be a more detailed planning .. like iron my pants in one room , and the shirt in the other.. keep my formals in one closet and the casuals in the other.. (for the third one therez always the undergarbs.. and the night wears... ) but then I sound more like acting akin to the every canine having his day proverb..

Naah people... I am not the VP .. of my company.. and no my dad is not the CEO... its just that providence wills some unforeseen luxuries on you some times.. ones that both amaze you and make you realize the irony of it all at the same time.. and you think.. I can play cricket in this place.. on the third floor.. for free... and I have just a room and my bed in Bangalore... for 5K.. Aint fair...

Raleigh is as pleasant as it is when i left it. .The roads and lakes have the same stunning beauty as when I last saw it.. the climate is a bit damp tho.. but atleast far better then the - 4 at Minneapolis that I sat through for 6 hours.

Rest is fine.. Its war time at the work front.. Some critical decisions are to be taken .. I hope they go my way.. Have had 2 months of back breaking work, I hope this culminates in sucess..

Touch wood.. so they say..

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mehak here...so Mr. US of A mein mazee kiya jaa rahe hai...well this is like one of the phunniest post ever...on our blog.....take care...have loads of fun....n wrk too........byeeeeeeeeeeee

Anonymous said...

Sam here: Welcome back to the US of A Ghosh Babu..Jab tak hai..Tab tak email aur desi radio maiya ki jai !! :D

"Duniya gol hai , aur har paap ka ek double role hai... "

ROFL !! Awesome man..Jhankaar Beats rulz !!

Anonymous said...

aami hem bolchi..ki go eto bedroom niye onno kichu plan koro na jano..okhankar meyera khub shundor to, tayi cinta hochey..but this post was really fun to read!!!

Unknown said...

Ha Ha !!
LOL !!

Na Na onno kichhu plan kori ni..

Abashya meye gulo shhootiyi khub shundor aar majhe modhhe interest o dakhai..

kintu aapatata 3 ta bedroom - i aamar aklar ii chai... :))

Dont worry ;) !!

Anonymous said...

Mehak here : wassup Archan....Mr.Bush se mile kya?

Anonymous said...

Noorie here::enjoy.....work and have all fun....SO 3 rooms...hmm...kash we can separate all body parts then in one room you would have kept your Brain...in other heart and....so on....

Anonymous said...

Hi hem here..pherar shomoy aamar jonno kichu aantey bhulbey na jeno...

Anonymous said...

Mehak here : hru Archan?? busy wid wrk...tc !

Anonymous said...

Noorie..
... where r u??Busy BBBBBB No New Post...