Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Back @ Bangalore !!

Life in Bangalore is back to normal… My cubicle at office, meetings, Heated discussions, the stroll after lunchtime, coping with the ever changing one way roads of the city and the fluctuations in climate.. the friendly evening drizzle, the haggling autowallahs.. and the ever pleasing Kannada brethren… It feels good to be back here and I am already tingling at the prospect of a good outing outside of the city in the coming long weekend and holidays.. I have ten places on my mind, but have to catch up with lots of personal work and commitments all the same..

Lots of spare time in the US made me used to the idiot box more than I had expected I would.. News channels there are a farce. They are biased and have closed views, demeaning to other cultures and are over obsessed with Security, Lawsuits and Celebrities. Good ol’ Discovery did help a lot but I didn’t mind watching old re-runs of Friends and Everybody loves Raymond… Some talked about serials were watched too , during cooking time.. like, Smallville, and 7th Heaven..

I am back to watching Shaan’s SaReGaMaPa., or EnCounter at CNBC,or HARDTalk at BBC, or Rendezvous with Simi, Unluckily, my Sunday 5:30 Formula One appointment will have to wait till the start of the next season..( I missed all the last 8 races ) but could get a bit of the Champions league (UEFA) and the Chennai Test vs Australia I am happy about that..

Some nice Adverts on air too :) especially liked the Old couple in the SBI life Insurance Ad :)) .. love it when the gentleman says “Hire ko kya pataa tumhaari umr kya hai ?” :)
The Saif – Tiger Pataudi Lays ad is pretty hilarious too :) .. so is the new Pepsi comm, with Big B and Arshad ‘Circuit’ Warsi !!

But perharps the most refreshing one was when I heard the first “Babbar Sher” on Radio City after 4 months !! And I went “Oh yes Babe !! I missed this.. !! And I am back” :) :)

Bangalore is as green as it gets.. Also Its fall time still and some pavements are littered with shedded seasonal flowers and leaves.. The KGA Golf Course on my way to office looks an awesome sight… and maybe it’s the laid back pleasant climate that goads you to occasional indulgements and keep a happy demeanor.

I don’t think many people can boast of having a cubicle with such a beautiful view of the city as I have.. From one side of my seat, I can view the entire Bangalore Race Course. If youre tired of your work, just go to the window sill with a cup of coffee and watch the thoroughbred bangtails being pruned.. cleaned meticulously or the occasional trot they are given .. or just the orderly rambling about ..

On the other side toward the canteen end.. is a full blown panoramic view of Central Bangalore.. You can see the majestic Vidhana Soudha (the General Assembly) jutting its head from amongst the tree blanket.. and to the right, what you would call Downtown Bangalore.. the buildings across / about M.G.Road .. other taller buildings can be seen in a distance,, but what is the most pleasing is the rich abundance of flora the city presents you.. cap it with a light breeze and a drizzle here and there.. and it makes up for a pretty artistic setting.. Refreshing too..
I have started with V.S.Naipaul’s India- A Million Mutinies now.. Looks a good book, the first chapter was a pretty interesting read, and such is the power of these exceptional writers and such is the command over the language, that they can make you believe in anything they say.. He has begun by presenting what he understood Mumbai as when he visted the city in the early nineties. And you are shocked at his interpretations and awestruck with the dexterity at which he describes the city. at the same time.. I had been late for his speech at the Crosswords, Bangalore and he had left minutes after I had reached there.. but I had heard. I hadn’t missed much since he was disgusted at the way people were moving about while he was reading about excerpts from one of his recent books.. (dont remember the name) and that he had cut it short..

Right now, its both hands full for me … I have loads of work and many project deliveries lined up.. Have to meet loads of friends.. some relatives.. Some old acquaintances have added themselves to the ever growing populace of this IT city and they demand quick meetups.. I wouldn’t mind less.. Have to catch on with what has been happening here over the past months as well.. plus its festival and holidays time.. so.. I’d better finalize the plans… and the reservations and the booking that are needed alongside

They say you should that change the smile and greets from your face to the omnipresent Indian frown to be more at ease when you land in India.. Thankfully it hasn’t been the case for me. Instead of arching the lower lip backwards.. I find people getting more glimpses of my teeth than ever before.. I am back to motherland.. for the time being.. and I am happy about it..

The smiles don’t cease… and I pray to God , and hope that they wont.. J

Meanwhile, some overheard raillery from across the picket fence
Wife to Husband.. “You look like a Saint”..
Husband : “Thank you :) Which saint?”
Wife: “A Saint Bernard”


Cheers !! :) !!

No comments: